Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gratitude.

I have always heard stories about people that have terrible, awful trials and how people come together to help them. I loved hearing the stories but that was all they were, stories. They were not my reality.
I am sure most people know about the struggles that my family has had the last 2 years. But if not I will just give a little overview. My sister, Ciera is married to Stewart and they have 2 amazing little boys, Hayden (almost 2) and Keagan (just over 4 months). Stewart has heart problems and has had 5 heart surgeries in the past 2 years. Obviously this has been very hard on the entire family but mostly on Ciera. Stewart has been unable to work because he passes out 20-40 times a day. This has made Ciera become the sole provider and nurturer of their family. Recently Stewart's doctor told them that he really can't do anymore for him and told them they need to go to Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic.
When Ciera first told me I thought it sounded impossible. They obviously can't afford that and I had no clue how they were going to be able to raise all that money. I tried to be positive for her but logically it just didn't seem probable. But I have been proved wrong.
I know that the Lord gives us trials and he also gives us a way to get through them. Sometimes that way is through other people. Ciera and Stewart are very blessed to have friends that love them. As soon as some of their neighbors found out about Ciera and Stewart's latest goal they decided to make it a reality and went right to work. They set up a dinner and auction. They got local places to donate items, gift cards, and services. They also got the radio and newspaper to help advertise it.
The event took place last night. I cannot even express how blown away I was. I love my sister very much. It has been so hard for me to watch her go through these trials. I know I haven't been able to help her much. I try to watch her kids and be there for her but I wish I could do more. Last night I was holding her baby and just looked around the room. I saw tables full of items that people had donated. I saw tables full of people, some that I knew, some that I didn't but all of them were there to help my sister and her family. All of them were willing to sacrifice their time and money just for my sister's family.
I talked to the girls that organized it and I thanked them for helping my sister so much. They responded by thanking me! Can you believe that?! I was so impressed with how Christ-like they were. Everyone came had the same attitude as those girls. They were all so willing to help and do what they could.Not only was it a beneficial night but it was also a very fun night! I was able to spend a lot of time with Hayden and Keagan. I love them both so it was fun to be able to play with them. I also bought a lot of GREAT stuff at the auction! :)
I have always wanted a Christus Statue and last night I was able to get one and have all the money go to my sister! :)
I was also able to get a super cute bag, it is supposed to be a diaper bag, so I'll just keep it in storage until that time comes.
I also got a cute little home decoration for my future house.

Today was testimony meeting and I wanted to get up and share my experience so badly but for the first time in my life, I was speechless! I had no clue how to express how I felt and how grateful I was. Last night was such an eye opener for me. I learned that we really do have a Father in Heaven that loves us. That we are given trials so that we can learn and that he has sent people here to bless our lives. I know that the Church is true and that if we listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost we will be blessed. I love my family so much and I am so grateful that if we live righteously we can be together forever.
If anyone wants to know more about Ciera and Stewart you can check out their blog

www.sendstewarttomayoclinic.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment